Monday, August 12, 2013

Memories of a monsoon


The first gusts of monsoon winds blew across my face
and brought with it the sweet smell of the earth.
With it also came back memories,
memories of a distant past, when you were there with me.
You were there, but so were the rains too.

I still see the tree across the street,
the tree under which we stood to evade the rains.
But the tree was drenched and so were we,
drenched in the rains, and in each others love too.

We held ourselves in each others arms and were lost.
Lost to the outside world and lost in each other.
What beauty is there in being lost,
this losing of ourselves and
seeking ourselves in each others eyes,
the eyes which are but a window to the inner worlds,
a window and a mirror too.

I still remember the rains,
the rains that brought us together.
The memories came back and stood before me.
From where they came, I don't know.
But they still linger in some remote corner of my mind,
and bring happiness to my heart,
the heart that longs for you, but knows that you are far away,
out of sight and out of reach too.

Wish I could keep them on the window to see them all the time,
these sweet memories of mine.
Wish I could project them on a blank canvas,
and see them, relive them, enjoy them, be in them.

Yet they swirl in me, like the first gusts of monsoon winds,
that blow across my face,
and take me away to a distant past,
a distant past, when you were there with me.
You were there, but so were the rains too.

© 2013 Abhijit Pandit